Saturday 13 January 2018

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge

I follow several Vloggers and one of my favourite is Jessica Lorraine who lives in Australia. She has recently launched a challenge called Sew My Style 2018 and I was taken by the January pattern.
Basically there are 12 patterns from Indie pattern makers who offer a different one each month at a discounted price.
The first one, January, was the Sunny Top / Dress from Friday Pattern Co.
 
Now you are all aware that I nearly always use my Sure-fit Designs body Blueprint but I have a new goal this year. Don't get me wrong, I haven't forsaken SFD but I need to push my horizons somewhat.

I have spent a lot of time making clothes that fit using SFD and it works. I have trousers, jeans, shirts and tops but I am not a natural designer and looking through my wardrobe I have come to the conclusion that it's boring and predictable, only the fabric choice seems to show any sort of design element apart from the occasional embroidery.

The Sew My Style challenge was supposed to launch me into a direction of using pattern designers instead of self drafting but this first pattern did nothing toward that goal. My first attempt was using a white stretch rib left over from another project to make a wearable muslin. After downloading the PDF pattern and sticking it together, I cut the medium size. 

The pattern had no sleeve notches marked and the method of construction could have been a lot better. This is meant to encourage beginners but I know from experience with knits especially, that attaching the sleeves 'flat', before sewing the sleeve and sides seams in one go is much easier and produces great results but the instructions would have you sew the seams first and then struggle to fit the sleeves in after. 

The pattern itself did not look like the picture. The sleeves were far too baggy and the back neck gaped as you can see in the photo. I took the sleeves in by quite a large amount and they are still larger than I would normally expect a T-Shirt to be. I put a couple of small darts in the back neck and altered my pattern accordingly. I also added length to the main body as I prefer to wear my T-shirts a little longer.

My next attempt was far better and again I used some scrap fabric from my stash yet once more I was falling into the trap of plain old boring so I added an embroidery element to make it my own.


The result is a much better fit [although I'm still not sure the sleeves are right] and matching the navy embroidery thread I used my cover stitch machine to finish the neckband, sleeves and dolphin hemline.

I will wear this when the weather is warmer [a lot warmer!] but I could have made this easily with SFD so I wonder why I bothered with this pattern. Maybe I just feel I'm missing out but have I got this all wrong? I didn't need a badly drafted, ill fitting, complicated method of construction to tell me I could have done much better without it.

Next month the pattern is for a coat but I'm not going to rush for this one until I see what others make of it.

I have a lot of Burda Style and a few My Image Magazines with plenty of inspiration on offer.




Well that's probably one of my New Year Resolutions out the window.... I've changed it to 'Stick to what you know but do it better.' Maybe that'll work!




6 comments:

  1. Jan, I appreciated reading your 'experience' blog about using an Indie pattern. It's always disappointing when the pattern is badly drafted, has a complicated construction method and ends up ill-fitting. I realized SFD isn't the be-all and end-all for everyone. As you said, maybe you were missing out on something. About all you were missing was the fashion look they claimed on the pattern envelope. You've learned so much in the past 3 years about your body shape and how to achieve a successful fitting pattern. You've come such a long (successful) way when it comes to designing and sewing patterns that really do fit you. What the Indie patterns offer is fashion/style ideas...and you know how to translate that into your SFD patterns. Again...it was enlightening to read your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Glenda, my journey was thanks to you.

      Delete
  2. I also have my troubles with this pattern and find it a little bit discouraging. I cannot get it to fit good. I'm trying to tell myself that this is not a complete waste, because at least some of my money is donated for a good cause.
    Anyways, I've already seen a lot of positive reviews for some of the upcoming patterns. That's why I stay with the project and keep pushing myself. But I sure will wait a bit longer to buy the pattern and see what others say about it first.
    Great to read your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Minn, as with all hobbies and skills, it's practice that makes us improve - don't give up.

      Delete
  3. As someone who cannot sew, but greatly admires your work Jan- I just want to pick up on something you said. You thought your wardrobe looked 'boring and predictable'? Were you looking in the right wardrobe!?! Your clothes are all unique and beautifully made , using materials you have adapted and chosen with love and care. NOT boring! I agree totally with Glenda's comments about how successful you have become. Just keep doing what you are doing, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comments. I think that I meant the design in that I make either a shirt or trousers / jeans which are a classic shape. I go for comfort rather than risk pushing the envelope for something with a bit more jazz!! I want to be more adventurous and conquer my fear of expensive fabrics. Watch this space! Thank you for your support, it's so satisfying to know you are out there!!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge