Friday 10 November 2017

Not a Happy Burda Jacket sew but a Happier Tunic Bible sew

We all make mistakes and sewing is no different. I am not proud of this jacket and can't see me wearing it at all. It's such a disappointment from the vision I'd had in mind.
Buttons are just pinned in place at the moment


The design I chose was from the Burda Style magazine and the fabric was a wool I'd bought from the Cloth Warehouse sale a few weeks ago now.
I'd had such high hopes but the result looks awful.
I'm not sure what went wrong but when I put it on I feel like I'm wearing a Chinese Manadrin jacket from the workers revolution. OK, the mandarin collar doesn't help but it was based on a Safari type jacket and the pockets reflect this but the overall result just doesn't do it for me.
I'm upset because it wasn't an easy make. I struggled with the front pockets and with Burda's infamous ability to confuse the reader with unintelligable instructions at times.
I loved the back yoke detail and I was pleased to master the back pleat as well as all the lining.




I took a lot of care over the construction and lined the jacket using the bagging method so a lot of new learning techniques.
The problem when your garment doesn't turn out as you'd hoped is that you lose a bit of sewing enthusiasm.

I find the best thing is to get straight back but with something easier and simpler that you've made before so it's well tried and guaranteed to give a good result. So that's what I did. Instant gratification.

I hapened to be in Redhill on market day and the fabric stall had a medium weight border print fabric that caught my eye. At £2.00 a metre, I couldn't really go wrong. When the lady was cutting the 2 metres I asked for she noticed a couple of grubby marks so decided to give me the whole lot for just £2.00 instead of £4.00. I didn't argue and washed the fabric as soon as I got home. The result was pristine, not a mark anywhere.

I decided to make best use of the border prnt by making a tunic from The Tunic Bible with the pattern I'd made a couple of times before. It took me only 4 hours to cut out and make and I'd got that lovely feeling of having made a striking, unique top to wear for very little money. Sewing mojo is back.

I teamed it with my grey trousers but it will also go with black and in the summer I will pair it with my white trousers.
Here is a close up of the front facing.



I'm glad I've moved on and I'm back in the sewing room.
Thanks to Pat for taking the outdoor photos.

4 comments:

  1. It's a real shame you're disappointed with your jacket. The workmanship on it is great, but I can see what you mean about the workers revolution. Have you considered different buttons? Maybe gold, or maybe red, or maybe white, or maybe adding trim to the jacket somehow, maybe the pocket flaps, or collar or adding some floral embroidery to the sleeves? or maybe adding some turquoise to it somehow? or do the belt in a bright accent colour? Adding a little bit of colour to it might make it seem a little less utilitarian, and at least worth a try given how much time you've invested in it. Or even try putting a large brightly coloured broach on it, or wearing it with a brightly coloured scarf may change the whole look of the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I cannot thank you enough for your comments. You are so right and you've made me look at it differently. I've sent for some gold buttons and I'm going to see if I've got enough fabric left for a belt. The model is wearing a polo sweater underneath and my favourite colour is turquoise so I'm looking at starting there. You gave me lots of useful tips and I am so grateful to you, especially the time and trouble you took to respond. It helped so much.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you found my comments helpful, I know that feeling of working really hard on something, and then putting it on and your heart just sinking. I think turquoise would be a great accent colour for the grey, and no one who sees you will be thinking "worker's revolution". I really enjoy your blog and seeing the photos of your garments. It inspires me to improve the quality of my own workmanship, and not just make the same knit pants, and knit tops over and over again just because they are quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that heart sinking feeling happened a lot in the early days but I thought I'd improved. Just goes to show - you never stop learning and after all, that's what a hobby is all about. I'm so glad you enjoy my blog.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge