I bought a new sewing machine!!! Ask me why and I couldn't really explain except that because it was there!!! I had a Janome which served me well and did an excellent job - I have no complaints about it whatsoever. But I was at a dealers' and there was this Husqvarna Ruby de Luxe Embroidery Machine which just kept calling to me. In the end I just couldn't resist so after months of deliberation I now have this beast of a machine and an empty wallet.
So I had to come up with something a bit spectacular to see what it was capable of and here is the result...
I forgot to take a photo of the back but it is all in the patterned fabric. I also haven't taken a photo of me wearing it yet as it isn't quite finished, i just need to hand stitch the inside of the cuffs - you can't see that in the photo!!!
This was made from a Sure-Fit Design body blueprint and is the best fitting shirt that I've made so far. I made a muslin first and this was a big help as I've finally figured out that I need more length across my upper chest area and NOT from underneath my arms where I had previously added length in order to get my apex in the right place.
Having made the alterations on the front and back I then needed to address the sleeve and with Glenda's help I got this right too and the fitting is great.
I made a couple of mistakes along the way but I'm not going to admit what there are, however I have learned and will do better next time.
I'm so delighted to have at last got a good fit for a top and look forward to designing and making more.
Once I'd finished the shirt, the black side seemed to be a bit too black if you know what I mean, almost looked as though I was half way through putting on a black jacket!!
What a great time to practice a bit of embroidery? Hence the little design which I am pleased brings the two halves together nicely.
Did you also notice I put a logo at the back of the collar stand? It might look simple but working out which way up it had to be took me ages....
I did try another design element having taken a Designer Craftsy Class recently which showed a Peek-a-Boo method and I employed this on the sleeves. However it didn't really work as well as I'd imagined and doesn't 'Peek-a-Boo' as much as I thought it would.
I've shown the sleeve before it was finished with weights to show the opening and how it's supposed to look when being worn, the trouble is it isn't in an area where the seam is under any real strain to open up, even on the elbow which I purposely left as 'open'.
The black sleeve has the pattern in the slits and below you can see the pattern sleeve with black slits held open with pins for you to see.
This shirt has a lot of designer elements and certainly pushed me out of my comfort zone in all sorts of areas but I had fun learning despite the mistakes and lots of trials and errors along the way and am looking forward to some more creativity.
I am very positive about moving forward with more ideas but I have named this shirt NEGATIVE as a tribute to comments made about me recently that I feel this garment proves I'm not.
I'll be back soon with more..., meanwhile thank you for reading.
Here is a photo of my latest design trousers made with my SFD pants body blueprint. I've used this so many times that the tracing paper...
I follow several Vloggers and one of my favourite is Jessica Lorraine who lives in Australia. She has recently launched a challenge called ...
It was just a week in the sunshine over Christmas but it wouldn't be a break without seeking out some fabric... ...or wine tasting!!!...