Friday 15 January 2016

Tailored Shirt with Paisley Trim

As promised in my previous blog I wanted to show you my new shirt which would have been very plain and ordinary if it hadn't been for the paisley trim from scraps left from the shawl collar blouse.

Cuffs turned back
The fabric is a duck egg blue cotton which is not too lightweight but is excellent shirt weight and has a soft feel to it. It has been in my stash for ages and I think it was an eBay purchase but I can't really remember.
I used the trimming on the under side of the upper collar and the inside of the collar stand as well as inside the cuffs. The grey blue colour of the main fabric is an exact match for the paisley print and adds that little pop of colour and interest that takes this from being a plain shirt into something a bit special.

Once again I used the new SFD shirt kit which gives a slight feminine shaping without the fully fitted darts. I wanted a more casual shirt that I could wear either outside or tucked into a waistband but I didn't want it too shapeless or looking too much like a man's shirt. I didn't make it overly long as I definitely wanted a shirt and not a tunic.

I really enjoy the different elements of making a tailored shirt. The sleeve plackets and cuffs are especially rewarding as the different parts come together to make a smart finish. I had shortened the sleeve from the shawl collar blouse and this is now the perfect length for a shirt. Not too baggy but enough room to bend my arm easily without straining the fabric.

Once you perfect your body blueprint it's amazing how easy it is to make your own clothes that fit you as you like them and then to concentrate on the sewing skills of your design and lastly to feel proud that you are wearing an excellent garment that you created and designed for yourself that is way cheaper than Ready to Wear but infinitely more satisfying to own.


These photos are a bit grainy due to me taking them with my tablet using the front lens as opposed to the one at the back. I thought it would be easier to see what I was taking but the quality is far inferior so I won't do that again.

I used to always dread that last bit of shirt or blouse making when I got to the buttonholes. I always test one first and then start with the one at the bottom where it won't show if it doesn't go well. I think because my sewing machine does this automatically is what gives me cause for apprehension especially as it seems to do it so quickly. I tend to guide the fabric like a mother hen not wanting to let the machine take over completely. If it is going to have a hissy fit you can bet it'll be on the last one at the top where it'll stand out. Of course the more I do the more confident I get and I now double check all the settings well before pressing the start button. I especially check the bobbin to make sure it won't empty in the middle of making them. 

In fact I now use the machine to sew on the buttons too and this is really quick and easy. 

Does anyone else have issues with letting your sewing machine know who's boss??

See previous post for details of the black denim jeans with seahorse on the back pockets and here is a close up of the detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge